Thursday, February 3, 2011

180degrees south

"Books are a great start, but there is no substitute for just going there."

1. Jeff and his few friends were interested in stepping the route that Jeff's heros has once stepped and in order to do so, he read many books about it and researched it. However, as he travels the same route, he realizes many things that were simply unable to be explained and read in books. It was a good choice for him to just dive into the challenge and see how far he ends up; even if that means failure. Although they were not successful in climbing the whole mountain, they were able to gain many knowledge and experience through the journey.
2. For me, I have a long way ahead of me. Some people say it's just the beginning for me since now I am truly an adult and is about to head off to college. I read about many colleges that I want to attend and I did so much research on them before I applied. However, I feel like it won't be the same; actually attending the school or just reading about the schools. I think there really is no substitute for just going out there and experience it.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is very insightful. There is no way of knowing exactly how you are going to feel or interact with a school just by reading about it. Many people think that they are going to the perfect school for them, but get there and hate it or hate the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Books are a great start, but there is no substitute for just going there." I would argue to say movies are a great option...but yeah, sometimes it's necessary to go somewhere to truly understand how it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about this quote as well, and what you said was very true. When you read from a book or a magazine, you do not get the full effect. By going there, it gives you a complete experience.

    ReplyDelete